Thursday, February 22, 2007

As BC would say, "What's the deal son?"


I once was a proponent of the “professional athletes do not need to be role models for fans” argument. They are regular people who can do what they want just like anybody else. They are in the spotlight, true, and whatever they do is going to be scrutinized by hundreds of television outlets, radio talk show hosts and newspaper writers. I can’t imagine being under that kind of microscope. The same goes for celebrities. How would you feel if every time you went shopping you had cameras waiting for you outside the door?

After what happened in Las Vegas during All Star Weekend I have since changed my mind. Actually, it started years ago with the on court antics of the Pistons and the Pacers. Seriously though, what is the deal with professional athletes these days? Look at the Bengels this season. That team had an embarrassing showing off the field this year. The NBA isn’t far behind with a number of its players having off court trouble but professional athletes in general are out of control.

Pacman Jones *allegedly* caused an unthinkable tragedy at a strip club in Vegas this weekend that left two people in the hospital with gun shot wounds, one who was shot in the spine and is paralyzed and a third woman who was grazed in the ear by an errant bullet. All because a stripper went to pick up the hundreds of dollars were thrown on the stage? Isn’t that the intent of the person throwing the money on the stage? I haven’t been to too many strip clubs but I am pretty sure that I put money on the stage and tried to take it back I would be removed from the club. I hope to get a ruling on this from a more experienced strip club patron.

Regardless, pulling a gun out and shooting at someone and saying that you’re going to kill someone is ridiculous. Jones was in the wrong by trying to take the money off the stage in the first place. Then he attacked the stripper prompting bouncers to step in.

What is it about people in America that think actions like this are acceptable?

I am officially changing my point of view. Professional athletes should be roll models. Is that fair? Maybe not but if I was in the spotlight and I knew that my actions would be broadcast across the country I would think about that. I wouldn’t want to be cast in a negative light by something I can control.

Everyone makes mistakes. DUIs, I guess, happen. I enjoy having a drink on occasion just like a lot of people, but I try and be as responsible as possible. The difference for me is, no one knows me. ESPN doesn’t care about a 24 four year old living in New Jersey. Many more people are interested when a Tennessee Titan is involved in an incident including multiple shootings. You might want to think about how those actions will affect your public perception and your career. Both of which are not comparable to the life of other people who are trying to do their jobs. Just because you are an asshole thug doesn’t mean someone should suffer for the rest of their lives.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home